The Arzhanovs’ House
One of the sights in Samara is The Arzhanov’s House known for its beautiful architecture. Its address is 93 Kuibyshev (former Dvoryanskaya) St. At present, it is considered a monument of regional significance. This house’s destiny is closely associated with the money and the history of savings banks of Samara. At the beginning of the XX century this private residence was built by Arzhanov, the merchant, for the Society of mutual credit and loan and savings banks. In 1923 the first Soviet governorate labor savings bank № 28 was open there. And from that very moment banks and money have never left the walls of that house.
Opera and Ballet Theatre
One of the main architectural dominants in the Samara city center is the Kuibyshev square and the Samara Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre. It is the former Kuibyshev Cultural Center. The building was constructed according to the project of Leningrad architects Noah Trotsky and Nikolay Katselenbogen. The front elevation in its central line shall be viewed from the Shostakovich street side. The whole front is built in neoclassic style and is oriented to the square. It is decorated with columns with large capitals, and the statues of a worker and a sportswoman by Vasiliy Akimov in the hovels and thematic bass-reliefs. This building is the shining example of Soviet neoclassical architecture.
One of the main and well-known architectural masterpieces of Samara is the building of the catholic Church in Frunze street. Its elegant red gothic broach spires 37 meters high looking like they are stabbing the sky, can be seen well in the street panorama and from the river Volga as well. The architectural solution of the Church is very unusual for Samara. Neo-Gothic buildings were very popular in the modern epoch. And they started to build the Church in 1902 according to the project of the Polish-born Moscow architect Foma Bogdanovich by efforts of the builders and the Samara architects under the direction of Shcherbachev.
The Naumov’s Residence
So unusual for Samara are the severe and dignified outlines of the city residence of Alexander Naumov, the governorate marshal of nobility, where the Children and Youth Creation Hall is now situated. Samara natives often call it the Pioneers’ Hall. The Naumov’s Residence was first built as luxury extra-class lodging. This residence had the wine cellars, rooms for servants and winter garden, and even an independent powerhouse. Today the Naumov’s Residence is the architectural memorial of federal importance and it is gradually being restored.
The House with the Elephants
Artist Konstantin Golovkin’s summer residence is known under that name. Even now the concrete figures of those gigantic animals look shiny and fantastic at the Volga riverside. Those statues generated lots of rumors and different associations in the heads of the Samara citizens and guests for a long time. But the residence interior and other statues are of no less interest. Golovkin’s summer residence is a cultural heritage object of federal importance. Over one hundred years after its construction the residence boggles the mind with its beauty, and the elephants impress imagination with their presence in the Samara landscape observed from the river. “The house with the elephants” is rightfully considered to be one of the main places of interest of the regional capital.
The Syzran Kremlin
The Syzran Kremlin is the only Kremlin that remained at the Volga riverside from Kazan to Astrakhan. Moreover, The Church of the Nativity which is one of the most ancient churches in the Samara region was preserved at the Kremlin Hill. Initially, the complex had five towers. Four of them were constructed of wood and the Spasskaya tower was made of stone. And that tower remained till now.
The Communal Kitchen
The Samara Communal Kitchen is a shiny example of formalism in architecture. The initial architectural solution of that construction was constructivism, but the intentions of its creators left other buildings of constructivism far behind. If we look at the building from above, we can see that it has the shape of a hammer and a sickle crossed. And it is the only building of such shape in the world.
The Drama Theatre
The building of Gorky Samara Academic Drama Theatre is one of the main places of interest in Samara. It is a red building looking like an ancient manor house and it is well-known for every Samara citizen and is shown to every guest of the city. The building was constructed in 1888 between the Iversky Monastery and the Strukovsky Park according to the project of the Moscow architect Chichagov (the author of the Korsha Moscow Theatre).
The Cathedral Mosque
The building of Samara Cathedral Mosque is situated in Stara-Zagora street. It was designed by the Samara architect Rasim Valshin. The total area of the mosque is 3600 square meters and the height is 67 meters. The total area of carpets in the building halls is 750 square meters, and all carpets were delivered from Tajikistan. Works on interior upgrading are carried out constantly.
The Sterlyadkin merchant residence in Syzran
The residence of the Syzran citizen of honour Sergey Sterlydkin constructed in modern architectural style in 1910s is situated in the Bolshaya (Sovietskaya) street. The author of that building is still unknown. At the beginning of the Soviet era the residence was used as a hotel for military officers. At those times, it seemed something like a palace: luxury offices, living and dining rooms, bedrooms furnished with beds made of karelian birch, guest rooms. Among the interiors remained we can see in some rooms molding, floor tile, stair railing decoration with sunflower motives and massive foldaway doors with glass painting.